Prior to applying to the Honors College, students need to apply for admission to the University of Mississippi. The online application to the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College for Fall 2019 entering freshmen is part of the Special Programs & Scholarship Application for the University of Mississippi, which becomes available July 1 or after you have applied for admission to the University (whichever is later).
Through the Special Programs & Scholarship Application, you will also be able to apply for financial aid and other programs on campus. The Honors College Early-Action deadline is November 1 (applicants will be informed of our decision by December 20). Our regular deadline is 11:59 PM (CST) January 5, 2019. We will accept recommendation letters through January 19th for all regular deadline submissions. Students applying by the regular deadline will be notified by the first week of March. All admitted students have until May 1 to accept or decline the offer of admission.
The Special Programs & Scholarship Application must be completed in the order that the tabs appear. The Honors College portion of the Special Programs application includes the following information:
1. Academics: GPA, rank, etc.
2. Recommenders: the names and email addresses of two teachers and a counselor
3. Your Resume
4. A personal statement describing your educational aspirations and future career goals
5. The general essay: Discuss an important event in your life that changed or impacted you significantly. Explain how and why. (No more than 700 words. Your essay will be evaluated on a combination of style, grammar, imagination, and substance.)
6. What should we remember? (Please note that your essay must be between 500 and 700 words. Your essay will be evaluated on a combination of style, grammar, imagination, and substance.)
**Please note that the Honors College admissions committee will have access to both your scholarship application essay AND the essay you submit for the Honors College application. We advise you to not use the same essay for both prompts.**
If you have any questions or problems with the application process, please call 662-915-7294 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.